PE & Sports Grant Funding
The PE and Sports Premium Grant is a government funding initiative which is allocated to all schools, to support in improving the quality of the PE and sports provision that they offer their pupils.
We believe that physical activity not only improves health, reduces stress and improves concentration, but also promotes correct physical growth and development. Exercise has a positive influence on academic achievement, emotional stability and interaction with others. Through sport and other physical activities our children will learn about their responsibilities both as individuals and members of groups and teams. They learn to cooperate and to compete fairly, understanding their own and other’s roles.
Our aims are that through physical education we teach and develop physical competence, an appreciation of skilled and creative performances, understanding of basic principles of ‘fair play’ and improve inter personal skills. We achieve this by:
- following a broad and balanced PE curriculum fulfilling the requirements of the National Curriculum;
- giving every child the opportunity to swim at least 25m;
- developing the fitness of the individual, by ensuring a good pace in lessons and incorporating fitness activities into physical education lessons as appropriate;
- integrating, where possible, into other curriculum areas, for example, the use of athletics data in maths & ICT;
- developing programmes that meet the needs of all the children, providing equal opportunities, making allowances for children with disabilities and medical conditions, taking into account children with special needs, through modified classroom programmes;
- involving the community where possible, for example, Sports Day, clubs, intra/ inter-school matches, outside coaching personnel and resources.
- providing enjoyable experiences, where positive attitudes of sensitivity, leadership, co-operation, competition and tolerance may develop.
Each year we publish how we have spent our allocation.
The attachment below details the ways in which the funding has been allocated and the impact that this has had on our PE and sports provision at Veritas.
During 2020/21 we have been allocated £19,180.
This will enable us to provide specialist and enhanced provision and opportunities for all pupils during class sessions, as well as further developing our after-school clubs provision. It has allowed children to experience new sports and to develop new skills that link in with the new PE Curriculum. Staff have also had access to training in order to build upon their own skills, subject knowledge and leadership of this curriculum area.