Spiritual, Moral, Social & Cultural (SMSC)
Veritas Primary Academy will be a diverse school made up of many different cultures and faiths.
We aim to celebrate all of these offering our children an enriching educational experience.
- Nursery and Reception classes
- Faith celebrations e.g. Diwali, Christmas, Chinese New Year and Easter , Year 1 – Year 6
- Harvest, Eid, Diwali, Christmas and Easter Assemblies
- We will also include significant celebrations that are important to our specific school community.
- We will invite in speakers from local religious organisations.
- All classes will celebrate International Day and learn about a wide variety of countries from around the world.
- We will cover R.E. through our topic lessons.
- Monday Assemblies are focussed on morals and the messages found in multi-faith and cultural stories, the children share a story and go over the moral, reinforcing the importance of good behaviours and attitudes.
- Circle Time/PSHE topics enable children to recognise the difference between right and wrong.
- Class charters will be agreed by the children.
- We will use class dojo to inspire children to strive for the best classroom learning behaviour across the school.
- There will be behaviour award certificates grasshopper, expert, master, sensai, as well as star writer and Headteacher certificates. Headteacher certificates are awarded for effort, achievement and personal growth.
- A home/school agreement will be signed by children, parents and school to ensure we are all working together to uphold our responsibilities.
- The school behaviour policy will be shared with parents to ensure that they are clear with all procedures.
- We will appoint a School Parliament through a whole school process to demonstrate democracy in action to our children and allowing them to air their views.
- Children will participate in a Macmillan coffee morning, Children in Need, Sport Relief, Comic Relief and support local community charities and events. We hope to visit a local care home to sing carols.
- We will have in- school events such a coffee morning for Mother’s Day, Father’s Day and a Grandparents Day.
- Children will be taught and encouraged to respect each other’s beliefs through PSHE and topic lessons.
- Success will be celebrated in our Celebration Assemblies. There will be attendance awards for individual children and classes.
- We will elect school ambassadors who will carry out different duties around the school to help uphold our school culture. Duties will include: modelling for other children how to behave well; helping visitors who come to the school; taking responsibility for helping the school office; organising other pupils at assembly time; working with the teachers to make our school the best it can be.
- Cultural diversity will be celebrated throughout the school in displays.
- Children will participate in a range of activities:
- Burton Albion and Progressive sports develop children’s sporting skills
- Rock It provide music lessons where children will learn to play the keyboard, steel drums, and have singing instruction.
- School values are reinforced through displays and certificates are awarded for each value.
For a printable document please download our policy